Saturday, June 11, 2005

One of the truest posts on 9/11 you'll ever read

By all means please read the entire post by Lance Mannion (and thanks to James Wolcott for pointing me to it), but a single paragraph broke my heart with the truth of its sentiment:

The weekend after 9/11 the Mannions went apple picking at an orchard near where we lived in Syracuse. At the orchard we saw two of the bravest people in America that week. A husband and wife, both obviously Middle Eastern, devout Muslims---she was in her chador---carrying a bushel basket of apples between them.

I'm sure that a lot of people looked twice and even three times at them, but I'm also sure that just about everybody who did did what I did, smiled and said to themselves, Good for them.
Nothing I've ever read since that very bad day, and certainly in nothing ever pronounced by BushCorp™, have I felt the simple truth of the true American spirit: Good for them.

I hope someday we remember it.

No comments: