Sunday, May 08, 2005

Evolution v. ID: The Mystery Unraveled!

There's been alot of jaw-boning about the credibility of Darwinian Evolutionary theory versus "Intelligent Design".

Stories of State School boards challenging the teaching of evolution have even made national headlines (though I personally question whether this is strictly "news". It's in Kansas after all).

Be that as it may, Dilbert© creator Scott Adams has a theory:

Sometimes my brain ties together things that are better left alone. Here are three things I've thought about recently:

  • Microchip designers often embed microscopic messages on the surface of the chip as a way of signing their work.

  • DNA has a lot of "junk" parts that don't seem to have any function.

  • A lot of people think evolution is obviously "designed" by someone.

  • I wonder if any cryptographers have looked at that junk DNA to see if it's a message from the designer. I'm guessing that it's a code that says something like, "I am Kaloopah, from the star system Nebulon IV. I have sent this evolution program into space as my eighth grade science project."

    Of course this doesn't address the "who created the creators?" thing, but Mr. Adams has an idea on that too:
    ...I suspect that the only way time can be infinite is if the past connects to the future like some huge Mobius strip-wormhole kind of deal. All you need to make this hypothetical system work is people like us who evolve and create new planets, who in turn evolve and create more new planets, until time loops back to our past and we get created again. In other words, we'd HAVE to evolve to the point where we could create a new planet or else we wouldn't exist in the present. Freaky, huh?
    Not convinced? Fine. But in Mr. Adams' defense I'll use one of the ID proponents' best reasoned arguments: Prove it ISN'T true.

    So there.

    No comments: