Saturday, March 31, 2007

American Stasi: Part 2

[x-posted at Daily Kos]

In my post, American Stasi, I noted the case of an ISP owner who the FBI attempted to force to spy on one of his customers using one of those National Security Letters whose abuse by the FBI has recently come under fire.

At the time I noted how very much this resembled the behavior of the dreaded East German secret police, the Stasi, which enlisted hundreds of thousands of citizen spies during its reign of terror.

The Isp owner was traunatized by his experience as an unwilling spy and the wall of lies his situaton built between himself and his co-workers, friends, and family.

Fortunately for the new American Stasi, there are plenty of potential volunteers. Indeed Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter's wacky soul-mate, is even starting a club for them.

Such as Malkin get no links from me, but here's the story from Chris Kelly writing at HuffingtonPost:


Most Americans just rolled over and surrendered when Arab terrorists took over the government and the media, but not Michelle Malkin.
She's fighting back. By starting a club.

All you have to do to join is report everyone you see who seems to be a foreigner. Or who seems to tolerate foreigners. Or who may be thinking foreigner-tolerating thoughts.

It's like the Junior Spies in 1984, only totally fun.

It's called The John Doe Movement and it's got an oath and everything. And if you join not only will you fight Islamofascism, but you can also come to Michelle's house after school, have a healthy snack, and play with her Breyer Horses. Well, not play with them. But, you know, look at them.

You also get a button. Wanna sign up?

Here's the pledge:

"Dear Muslim Terrorist Plotter/Planner/Funder/Enabler/Apologist,

You do not know me. But I am on the lookout for you. You are my enemy.
And I am yours.

I am John Doe.

I am traveling on your plane. I am riding on your train. I am at your bus stop. I am on your street. I am in your subway car. I am on your lift..."


(Now, I know what you're thinking: That sounds like a lot of travel. And who says "lift?" Are you Madonna? But don't get hung up on that. Let her talk.)


" ... I am your neighbor. I am your customer. I am your classmate. I am your boss."

(I am Polly Pocket.)


"...I am John Doe.

Malkin's "pledge" continues on at some length in that tenor and if you're interested please click the above link to read Mr. Kelly's full post. If you have the stomach for it he even supplies a link to Ms. Malkin's original.

I can only note with fear (and mocking) that those who wish to create an American Stasi have an able co-conspirator in Ms. Malkin and her fellow travelers.

Oh, and that ISP owner? Because of an FBI gag order, he was forced to identify himself as...John Doe.

Ah, the brave new world.

No comments: